There is a promised nirvana from installing a single set of CBRS small cells in a building where everybody can seamlessly access cellular service at much higher performance and lower cost. But this involves sharing the available capacity. We explore four different options to achieve that and discuss some of the implications.
Opinions about Femtocell Business Case
Alongside paid industry analyst reports, there has been an increasing number of freely available cellular industry activity reports with five year forecasts published by major vendors and industry associations. There's a mixture of detailed statistics, differing interpretations and somewhat biassed perspectives. We offer a guided tour highlighting key attributes.
With Optus recently launching its residential femtocell service nationwide, other Austrialian operators are taking different strategies with this new technology. Is the country becoming a microcosm representing the widely different views across the industry?
Basestation planning, deployment, upgrade and optimisation have always been the remit of the operations department. Highly skilled professionals with budgets in the hundreds of millions or billions per year determine the best ways to invest in the growth of network quality and quantity. Tactical decisions about where/when/what to deploy are made on a daily basis. A raft of KPIs (Key Performance Indicators) report on their success and effectiveness.
The holiday season (in the Northern Hemisphere) will have seen many head for the sunshine and/or beaches. Many look to escape from work and domestic pressures, having little or no communication other than sending a postcard. A growing number however do want to keep in touch, whether to keep an eye on business activities or to share their experience with friends and family. More often these days, people prefer to do this via email rather than voice call because it allows more control of the duration and response time for each message.
More Articles ...
- Will BT demonstrate the femtocell MVNO business case?
- A novel approach for gathering femtocell demand from end users
- Managed Service Business Model for femtocells
- Does a FON commercial model make sense for femtocells?
- Femtocell References - how will it affect takeup?
- Femtocells as a managed service
- 500% market penetration for mobile devices requires a network with femtocells
- Femtocells are applicable in developing countries too - for businesses
- The predictable irrationality of free femtocells
- Scalability of femtocell business case
- Kindle eBook and Femtocells
- The four groups to convince about Femtocells
- Femtocells can free up clogged up mobile broadband networks
- Tariff plans for mobile broadband need to encourage users to offload data traffic to femtocells
- The thirst for wireless data. Are femtocells the cheapest way to quench it?
- Your broadband or mine? Should femtocell operators mandate their own broadband?